If you are planning to move to Spain as a foreign international student to enroll in an educational institution you may want to know more about health insurances aimed at you and the available policies and requirements.
Although many European students will be covered by the Social Security System (Seguridad Social in Spanish) it is advisable to have a look at private health insurances for students which are not expensive, shorten waiting times and may include even treatments and procedures not available on the public health system like dental treatments
Things to Take Into Account with Health Insurances for Students
This is a list of things that you need to take into account when deciding to take out a private health insurance for you as a foreign student in Spain.
- Age: most sutdent health insurances have age limitations for the takers ranging from 14 or 18 to 35 years old.
- Cover: how wide is the coverage of your insurance? Depending on the cover you might need to co-pay some doctors or treatments
- Primary care & specialities: like general medicine, emergency services and ophtalmology, gynecology, dermatology, etc.
- Tests: diagnostic tests like blood tests, x-rays or ultrasound scans
- Surgery: are minor and major surgeries included even when if hospitalisation is required?
- Hospitalisation: will there be any other costs in case of sudden hospitalisation? Your cover should specify them.
- Dental cover: depending on the policy you choose dental treatments could be included in the price.
- Repatriation: some policies include repatriation to your home country in case of death.
- Co-payments: are there any co-payments for services excluded in your cover? You need to be aware of them.
- Waiting period: is there a time you need to wait before being able to access the health services offered in your cover? Ideally you want to be covered from day one since arriving in the country.
- Network: getting your health insurance with a company having a large network of doctors, renowned hospitals and medical centers available throughout the country should be priority number one.
- Paperwork: what documents are needed to sign a health insurance plan for students? Can the cover be adapted to Visa requirements?
We at Cogesa Expats can look for your best deal among private health insurances for foreign students in Spain. Just contact us by phone or email or fill the form below and we will contact you in short with a free quote for your insurance.